Practice

Boolean Practice 1: AND OR NOT

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Boolean Practice 1 (AND, OR, NOT)

In the course Creating Searches with Boolean: Foundations we reviewed the Boolean operators everyone should know in order to create searches. Here is a safe place where you can practice your new knowledge. You can also practice in Explore and test your search to see if you are getting the results you expected.

How it works:

1. Pick at least one scenario listed below and create a mock search.
  2. Add your search as a reply below. No cheating!
  3. Once you post your search, review what other learners have added to see how it compares.
  4. We will PM you the answer key

Let’s Practice

Let’s practice using AND, OR, NOT, and quotations.

Scenario 1 👵

Find documents that mention Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker but don’t mention Darth Vader.

Scenario 2 🍔

Find documents that mention at least one of the following keywords: hamburgers, veggie burgers, and chicken tenders. All documents should also include the keyword drive-through.

Scenario 3 

Find documents that mention Delta Airlines but not the keywords: travel deals, coupons, or discounts.

137 replies

Userlevel 1

SCENARIO 1:

(“Princess Leia” AND “Luke Skywalker”) NOT “Darth Vader”

Userlevel 7

Thanks for participating, @nads.de! Check your private messages for the answer key 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

(“hamburgers” OR “veggie burgers” OR “chicken tenders”) AND “drive through”

Userlevel 7

Great boolean, @Maria Dehne! I have shared the answer key with you via private message 🙂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Scenario 1 - 

“princess leia” and “luke skywalker” not “darth vader”

Userlevel 7

Great practice, @prince15! I have shared the answer keys with you via private message.

To further your boolean practice be sure to enter our Boolean Competition for a chance to win! :) 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Scenario 1 👵
Find documents that mention Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker but don’t mention Darth Vader.

Princess Leia AND Luck Skywalker (NOT “Darth vader”)

Userlevel 7

Great boolean, @Lorena! I have private messaged you the answer keys to this practice boolean in addition to practice 2 and 3. 

Now that you have practiced be sure to enter our Boolean Competition for a chance to win! 😀

Userlevel 2

(hamburgers OR “veggie burgers” OR “chicken tenders”) AND “drive-through”

Userlevel 7

Hi @121Latam - great boolean! Check your private messages for the answer keys to this boolean practice plus practice 2 and 3. 

Don’t forget to enter our Boolean Competition for a chance to win fun prizes! 😀

Userlevel 1
Badge

"Delta Airlines" AND "DeltaAirlines" NOT ("travel deals" OR "coupons" OR "discounts")

Userlevel 7

Great boolean, @jenna123! I shared the answer key will you via the private messenger. 

Be sure to enter our Boolean Competition for a chance to win! 😀

Userlevel 1

(“Princess Leia” AND“Luke Skywalker”) NOT “Darth Vader”

(hamburgers OR “veggie burgers” OR “chicken tenders”) AND “drive-through”

Delta Airlines” NOT (“travel deals” OR coupons OR discounts)

Userlevel 7

Hey @eve.white - great boolean! Check your private messages for the answer key. 

Also, don’t forget to enter Boolean Competition #2 for a chance to win! 😀

(“Princess Leia” AND “Luke Skywalker”) NOT “Darth Vader”

(Hamburger OR “Veggie Burgers” OR “Chicken Nuggets”) AND “drive-through”

“Delta Airlines” NOT (“travel deals” OR coupons OR discounts)

Userlevel 7

Great boolean, @JLP! I have shared the answer key with you via PM. 

Also, don’t forget to enter Boolean Competition #2 for a chance to win - just a few more days left 😀

Userlevel 2
  1.  “Princess Leia” and “Luke Skywalker” Not “Darth Vader”
  2. [hamburgers or “veggie burgers”] and [“chicken tenders” And” drive-through”]
  3. Delta Airlines” not [“travel deals” or coupons” or discounts]
Userlevel 7

Hi @andrea Tagliaferro - great boolean!

I have private messaged you the answer keys to this practice boolean in addition to practice 2 :) 

Userlevel 2

Scenario 1:
(“Princess Leia” AND “ Luke Skywalker”) NOT “Darth Vader”

Scenario 2:
(“Hamburgers” OR “Veggie Burgers” OR “Chicken Tenders”) AND “Drive-Through”

Scenario 3: 
“Delta Airlines” NOT (“Travel Deals” OR “Coupons” OR “Discounts”)

Userlevel 7

Great boolean, @sethm112! I have messaged you the answer keys to this practice boolean in addition to practice 2 & 3. 

Be sure to further your boolean skills in Boolean Competition #3 for a chance to win :) 

Userlevel 1

(“Delta Airlines” OR “DeltaAirlines” OR “Delta Air Lines”) NOT (“Travel Deals” OR “Coupons” OR “Discounts”) 

Userlevel 2

(“Princess Leia” OR “Luke Skywalker”) NOT “Darth Vader”

Userlevel 2

(Hamburgers OR “Veggie burgers” OR “chicken tenders”) AND “drive through”

Userlevel 2

Scenario 3

(“Delta Airlines” OR “Delta” OR “Fly Delta” OR “Delta Airlines Co”) NOT (“travel deals” OR Coupons OR Discounts)

Userlevel 7

Hey @Hunter Brooks and @JMBevis - great boolean! I have shared the answer keys with you via Private Messenger. 

Don’t forget to enter Boolean Competition #3 to show off your boolean skills (there’s not one correct answer) and for a chance to win! 🏆

Comment