Boolean BTS

Boolean BTS: The Top Emojis of 2023

• 19 December 2023
  • 3 Replies
Boolean BTS: The Top Emojis of 2023
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In todayā€™s Boolean BTS, weā€™re taking a look at the Meltwater blogā€™s breakdown of 2023ā€™s Top 10 EmojisĀ on social media. For that post, our team used Meltwater to analyzeĀ the usage ofĀ the top 10 emojis of 2023 according to Emojipediaā€™s mid-year rankingsĀ in English-language social media posts.Ā Now I get to be the oneĀ to share the boolean youā€™ll need to perform these searches on your own. šŸ™Œ

Ā 

How to do social listening for emojis

Social media-specific operators, including emojis,Ā are vital for ensuring youā€™re paying attention to the right conversations. For example, it can help you stay ahead of a crisis by including emojis associated with anger or fear to your searches (example: emojis:šŸ˜”,Ā orĀ you can find a few other examples in our Boolean Library).Ā 

Fortunately, the emoji operator makes searching an absolute breeze. To set up each emoji search, the steps and even the boolean operators will all be the same. Here are the steps youā€™ll need to follow for each emoji youā€™d like to track:

Ā 

Step 1: Create an Advanced Search in Explore

Step 2: Copy and paste the boolean for the emoji youā€™re searching into Explore.

Here are the ones our team used for the blog:

Emoji Description Boolean
šŸ˜Š Smiling Face with Smiling Eyes emojis:šŸ˜Š NOT (RT OR QT)
āœØ Sparkles emojis:āœØ NOT (RT OR QT)
šŸ„° Smiling Face with Hearts emojis:šŸ„° NOT (RT OR QT)
šŸ˜ Smiling Face with Heart-Eyes emojis:šŸ˜ NOT (RT OR QT)
šŸ™ Folded Hands emojis:šŸ™ NOT (RT OR QT)
šŸ”„ Fire emojis:šŸ”„ NOT (RT OR QT)
ā¤ļø Red Heart emojis:ā¤ļø NOT (RT OR QT)
šŸ¤£ Rolling on the Floor Laughing emojis:šŸ¤£ NOT (RT OR QT)
šŸ˜­ Loudly Crying Face emojis:šŸ˜­ NOT (RT OR QT)
šŸ˜‚ Face with Tears of Joy emojis:šŸ˜‚ NOT (RT OR QT)

Ā 

Step 3: Apply Filters

• To limit your search to social media, next to ā€œFilter setā€ below the search box, click ā€œSource typeā€ and select allĀ types except for Blogs, Broadcast, Comments, Forums, News, Podcasts, Product Reviews, Request for Proposal, and RSS.
  • Click the Language dropdown and selectĀ English.

Pro tip: once youā€™ve set up your filters on your first search, click the ā€œFilter setā€ dropdown and select ā€œSave Asā€Ā to save the filter set. Now, you can use the ā€œFilter setā€ dropdown to immediately apply all of these filters to your other searches šŸ™Œ

Step 4: Save your search and return to the Explore home pageĀ 

If you title each of these as ā€œEmoji:ā€ followed by their descriptive text, it will make creating a comparison search super quick and easy!

Ā 

How to visualize and compare 2023ā€™s top emojis

Our team used a few different share of voice comparison insightsĀ in the blog. Hereā€™s how you can create a comparison search:

Step 1: From the Explore home page, click ā€œCreateā€ on the ā€œCompare Searchā€ tile

Step 2: Select ā€œAdd Searchā€ to add each of your individual emoji searches

If you titled them all ā€œEmoji:ā€ followed by their description, theyā€™ll all be grouped together in your list of searches, making this super easy šŸ™Œ

Step 3: Adjust the date range

The blog used January 1 through November 30, 2023 - if youā€™re looking to replicate those results, do the same - otherwise, do whatever you find interesting!

Ā 

The blog used these particular visualizations to analyze cultural context:

• Share of Voice by Mentions
  • Share of Voice by Source
  • Share of Voice by Location

Ā 

Sound off in the comments šŸ’¬

• I mentioned using ā€œangryā€ or ā€œafraidā€ emojis in searches to assist in crisis management - whatā€™s another use case for emojis in Explore?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

This post isĀ šŸ˜! In regards to the sound off question, I wonder if other case examples might include if there was a call to action on a post that related to commenting an emoji? Or if a brand uses emojis as part of their ongoing messaging (Iā€™m thinking the heart hands emoji that Taylor Swift fans use-- which I donā€™t see in as an emoji option on this mPost?)? Or something like that!?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you! I hadnā€™t considered that emojis could be part of our monitoring before, but now Iā€™m definitely going to explore thisšŸ•µ

Userlevel 7
Badge +28

..Iā€™m definitely going to explore thisšŸ•µ

Me too!Ā 

Comment