Practice

Boolean Practice 1: AND OR NOT

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Boolean Practice 1 (AND, OR, NOT)

In the course Creating Searches with Boolean: Foundations we reviewed the Boolean operators everyone should know in order to create searches. Here is a safe place where you can practice your new knowledge. You can also practice in Explore and test your search to see if you are getting the results you expected.

How it works:

1. Pick at least one scenario listed below and create a mock search.
  2. Add your search as a reply below. No cheating!
  3. Once you post your search, review what other learners have added to see how it compares.
  4. We will PM you the answer key

Let’s Practice

Let’s practice using AND, OR, NOT, and quotations.

Scenario 1 👵

Find documents that mention Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker but don’t mention Darth Vader.

Scenario 2 🍔

Find documents that mention at least one of the following keywords: hamburgers, veggie burgers, and chicken tenders. All documents should also include the keyword drive-through.

Scenario 3 

Find documents that mention Delta Airlines but not the keywords: travel deals, coupons, or discounts.

143 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks for sharing your solutions, @Meinrad Fontana

I’ve just sent you the answer keys for this exercise via DM 👀

Don’t forget to show off your boolean skills in our May Boolean Competition for a chance to win! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

(“Princess Leia” AND “Luke Skywalker”) NOT “Darth Vader”

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Great boolean, @ewillie03 - I’ve just sent you the answers for this exercise, so be sure to check your DMs for those! 🙌

Userlevel 2

“Delta Airlines” NOT (“travel deals” OR coupons OR discounts)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Meghan - great work! 👏 👏 👏

I’ve sent you the answer keys for Boolean Practice 1-3, so be sure to check your DMs. Thanks so much for sharing your solutions!

Userlevel 2

Scenario 1 👵

(“Princess Leia”) AND (“Luke Skywalker”) NOT (“Darth Vader”)

Scenario 2 🍔

(“Drive-through”) AND (“hamburgers” OR “veggie burgers” OR “chicken tenders”)

Scenario 3 ✈

("Delta Airlines") NOT ("travel deals" OR “coupons” OR “discounts”)

Userlevel 3

Boolean Practice 1 (AND, OR, NOT)

In the course Creating Searches with Boolean: Foundations we reviewed the Boolean operators everyone should know in order to create searches. Here is a safe place where you can practice your new knowledge. You can also practice in Explore and test your search to see if you are getting the results you expected.

How it works:

1. Pick at least one scenario listed below and create a mock search.
  2. Add your search as a reply below. No cheating!
  3. Once you post your search, review what other learners have added to see how it compares.
  4. We will PM you the answer key

Let’s Practice

Let’s practice using AND, OR, NOT, and quotations.

Scenario 1 👵

Find documents that mention Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker but don’t mention Darth Vader.

Scenario 2 🍔

Find documents that mention at least one of the following keywords: hamburgers, veggie burgers, and chicken tenders. All documents should also include the keyword drive-through.

Scenario 3 

Find documents that mention Delta Airlines but not the keywords: travel deals, coupons, or discounts.

(“Princess Leia” AND “Luke Skywalker”) NOT “Darth Vader”

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Ammaarah Jacobs - great boolean! Be sure to check your DMs, I’ve just sent you the answer keys for boolean practice exercises 1 and 2. ✨

Userlevel 3

(“hamburgers” OR “veggie burgers” OR “chicken tenders”) AND “drive-through

Userlevel 3

Find documents that mention Delta Airlines but not the keywords: travel dealscoupons, or discounts.

“Delta Airlines” (NOT “travel deals” OR “coupons” OR “discounts”)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice work, @agromko! I’ve just sent you the answer keys for boolean practice 1, 2, and 3, so be sure to check your DMs! 🙌

Userlevel 1

Scenario 1: ("Princess Leia") AND ("Luke Skywalker") NOT ("Darth Vader")

Userlevel 1

Scenario 2:("hamburgers") OR ("veggie burgers") OR ("chicken tenders") AND ("drive-through")
Scenario 3: ("Delta Airlines") NOT ("travel deals", "coupons", "discounts")

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @BlackBeauty82 - nice work 👏

Be sure to check your DMs - I have sent you the answer key for this exercise!

("Princess Leia" AND "Luke Skywalker") NOT "Darth Vader"

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @GDFE - thanks so much for sharing your solution! I just sent you the answer key for this exercise, so be sure to check your DMs 🙌

(“Delta Airlines” OR “Delta” OR “Fly Delta” OR “Delta Airlines Co”) NOT (“travel deals” OR Coupons OR Discounts)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Jenniffer Bazurto - great work, thanks so much for sharing your answer here! 🙌

I am about to send you the answer key for boolean practice 1, so keep an eye on your DMs 👀

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

(Princess Leia AND Luke Skywalker) NOT Darth Vader

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @StaceyDillon! 👋 

Great to see you here in the boolean practice 🕺 good work, and I’ve just DMed you the answer key for boolean practice 1. Keep it up 💪

Userlevel 2
Badge

Scenario 1 👵
(“Princess Leia” OR “Luke Skywalker”) NOT (“Darth Vader”)

Scenario 2 🍔
(“hamburgers” OR “veggie burgers” OR “chicken tenders”) AND (“drive-through” OR “drive-thru”)

Scenario 3 ✈
(“Delta Airlines” OR “Delta Air Lines”) NOT (“travel deals” OR “coupons” OR “discounts”)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @bowenchew - great Boolean, and I love your profile pic! ⚡️💖

I’ve DMed you the answer key for this exercise - you should get a notification but be sure to check your DMs if not!

Scenario one: (“Princess Leia” AND “Luke Skywalker”) NOT “Darth Vader”

Badge

Scenario 1: (“Luke Skywalker” and “Princess Leia) NOT “Darth Vader”

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @APAC and @EddieManes - thank you so much for sharing your boolean 🕺

I’ve just DMed you both the answer key for this exercise, please let me know if you have any questions 💫

Comment