Skip to main content
Sticky Playbook

📘 mOlympians Week 1 Playbook: Creating a Brand Search and Digest

📘 mOlympians Week 1 Playbook: Creating a Brand Search and Digest

Welcome+to+Week+1+of+the+mOlympian+Summer+Games+in+mCommunity!+🔥">🔥Welcome to Week 1 of the mOlympian Summer Games in mCommunity! 🔥

Ready to aim high, train hard, and go for the gold? Our first week of the mOlympian Summer Games competition is here, and this is your official Playbook with everything you need to know for maximum success!

Your Objective for this week is Building the Best Olympics Brand Search & Daily Digest for the Summer Olympics. Here’s everything you need to get started:

Week 1’s Objective

Your mission this week is to create an Advanced Search that you will use for the rest of this challenge. Using what you learn in the training and the resources below, create a search in Explore to monitor the Summer Olympics brand.

Once you’ve created your search, share it in this thread for feedback so we can all work together and create a great search to work off!

Workshop

The workshops are over now, and everyone learned a ton! Watch the video in our recap post here:

The product workshop Creating a Brand Search & Daily Digest is offered at two different times. Please register for the one that works best for your schedule*:

*If you are unable to attend either of these sessions, the recordings will be made available in mCommunity within 24 hours of the workshop.

Quiz for a Badge & Points

After attending the workshop, you must complete the assessment quiz in mAcademy to be awarded the credential and points for course completion.

(Note: Click the Enroll for free button and log in or create an mAcademy account - make sure you’re using the same email address you use to log into mCommunity to make sure you get your points!)

Resources

Share your Search String for Points

Once you’ve created your search, share it in this thread for feedback so we can all work together and create a great search to work off! Please copy and paste your boolean string into a comment on this post, along with any tips, tricks, or feedback about this week’s exercise.

Pro tip:  You'll earn points for both submitting your Boolean string and giving feedback on others' posts in this thread!

There is no bonus for “winning” this week’s challenge. The goal is to learn together and create the best possible search, which will score you points now and benefit you down the line when it comes time to create your report at the end of the Games!

Game on, everybody - we’re so excited to have you join us for this challenge! Don’t forget to share your Brand & Campaign search in the comments 👇

(("Summer 2024 Olympics" OR "Summer Olympics 2024" OR "2024 Summer Olympics" OR "2024 Olympics" OR "Paralympics" OR "Paralympic Games" OR "Phryge" OR "Olympic Mascot" OR "Canadian athletes" OR "Team Canada" OR "Canadian Olympic Team" OR "Canadian Paralympic Team" OR "CBC Sports" OR "Paris" NEAR/10 "LA 28")) AND reach > 5000

My thinking was to really circle in on a Canadian view/CBC, our officially broadcaster + hone in on the talking around LA 2028, while narrowing the search to mid-sized and above accounts by narrowing my reach,

Updated Search:

(("Olympic Games 2024" OR "Paris 2024" OR "Olympics" OR "Games" OR "Athletics" OR "Sports" OR "Medals") NEAR/15 ("Olympic Committee" OR "IOC" OR "Team USA" OR "France National Team" OR "Simone Biles" OR "Katie Ledecky" OR "Allyson Felix" OR "Caeleb Dressel" OR "Eliud Kipchoge" OR "Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce" OR "Naomi Osaka" OR "Novak Djokovic" OR "Armand Duplantis" OR "Karsten Warholm" OR "Sifan Hassan" OR "Jakob Ingebrigtsen" OR "Rebeca Andrade"))

AND (hashtag:#Olympics2024 OR hashtag:#Paris2024 OR hashtag:#OlympicGames OR hashtag:#RoadToParis OR hashtag:#OlympicSpirit OR hashtag:#TeamUSA OR hashtag:#TeamFrance OR hashtag:#OlympicAthletes)

AND (@Olympics OR @TeamUSA OR @Paris2024 OR @Simone_Biles OR @CaelebDressel OR @usainbolt OR @katieledecky OR @allysonfelix OR @rebecarandrade)

AND (country:us OR country:cn OR country:jp OR country:gb OR country:ru OR country:de OR country:fr OR country:it OR country:au OR country:kr)

AND ("Athletics" OR "Swimming" OR "Gymnastics" OR "Basketball" OR "Soccer" OR "Football" OR "Tennis" OR "Volleyball" OR "Boxing" OR "Weightlifting" OR "Cycling")

("2024 Summer Olympics*" OR "Paris 2024 Olympics*" OR "2024 Paralympics*" OR "Summer Olympics 2024" OR "2024 Summer Olympics" OR "2024 Olympics" OR "Paralympics" OR "Paralympic Games" OR "Phryge" OR "Olympic Mascot" or "Jeux Olympiques d'été 2024" OR "Paris 2024 Jeux Olympiques") AND reach >= 1000

AND NOT (enrichments.media.news.categories:press_releases OR outletType:press_releases OR "winter olympics")

Thanks for sharing that recording link, so helpful! 

First of all, thank you all for sharing your awesome searches and feedback! It has been absolutely amazing to see you all putting in the work and coming up with beautifully creative searches 💪

I just wanted to post in here that for anyone who wasn’t able to make it to the live workshops (or if you just need a refresher on any of the material covered), we have a recap post here where you can watch the videos of both the Americas and APAC workshops (well, you will be able to watch the APAC workshop there once it’s exported and uploaded):

Thank you to all who joined for your insightful questions and creating an excellent learning experience for everyone involved! Keep those searches and critiques flowing - next week we’ll learn how to use the base you’ve created for a crisis monitoring use case! 🏅

Great! Thanks for sharing :)

("2024 Summer Olympics*" OR "Paris 2024 Olympics*" OR "2024 Paralympics*" OR "Summer Olympics 2024" OR "2024 Summer Olympics" OR "2024 Olympics" OR "Paralympics" OR "Paralympic Games" OR "Phryge" OR "Olympic Mascot" or "Jeux Olympiques d'été 2024" OR "Paris 2024 Jeux Olympiques") AND reach >= 1000

AND NOT (enrichments.media.news.categories:press_releases OR outletType:press_releases OR "winter olympics")

It’s funny to see you exclude PR from your search, Zoe - I’m sure that went against instinct 😉!

Built my search piece by piece using the brand names and variations, misspellings, hashtags, handles, the near operator, and filtered for likes, views, and shares ….

I initially used the AI feature, but what it spit out was too basic -- I am guessing I should have used a more specific and detailed prompt.

For handles, do I need to differentiate between a Facebook handle and a Twitter handle?

I only want English language results. What’s the best way to accomplish that?

What else am I missing”

("2024 summer Olympic*" OR “2024 summer oylmpic*” OR “2024 summer olympisc” OR "paris 2024" OR “Paris Olympics 2024” OR "Olympic game* 2024" OR “oylmpic game* 2024” OR "2024 olympic*" OR “paris olympic*” OR “international olympic committee” OR ("olympic*" near/20 "paris") OR (“oylmpic*” near/20 “paris”) OR ("Olympic*" near/20 "2024") OR ("Olympian" near/20 "2024") OR (“Oylmpic*” near/20 “2024”) OR hashtag:#Olympics OR hashtag:#Paris2024 OR hashtag:#ParisOlympics2024 OR hashtag:#SummerOlympics OR hashtag:#SummerOlympisc OR “opening ceremony” OR “opening ceremonies” OR “closing ceremony” OR “closing ceremonies” OR “Medal count” OR “olympic* village” OR “Stephen Nedoroscik” OR “Team USA” OR hashtag:#TeamUSA OR hashtag:#OlympicAgenda OR @Olympics OR @TeamUSA OR @Paris2024 OR @iocmedia) and (likes>5 or views>1000 or shares>5)

Thanks, I went through the creating a brand search checklist then tried out the AI tool. It was kind of fun. That’s a good thought regarding the French Pole Vaulter - I forgot about that! Ha. I also didn’t know they had a mascot! Thanks for the feedback!

Welp, here’s my first try: 

((

"Summer Olympics" AND

(

"Olympic Games" OR "Olympiad" OR "Olympic event" OR "Summer Games" OR "Olympic sports" OR "Olympic competition" OR "Olympic athletes" OR "Paris Olympics" OR "Summer Games" OR "Olympics" OR "Olympics 2024" OR "Paris 2024" OR "Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games" OR "Olympics and Paralympics"

)

)

OR

(

"Olympic medals" OR "Olympic torch" OR "Olympic mascot" OR "Olympic sponsors" OR "Olympic venues" OR "Olympic tickets" OR "Olympic broadcasting" OR "Olympic merchandise" OR "RL" OR "FL" OR "NKE" OR "ADDYY" OR "DKNG" OR "CMCSA"

)

OR

(

"NBC Olympics" OR "NBC Olympic coverage" OR "NBC Sports Olympics"

)

AND

(

socialType:twitter OR socialType:facebook OR socialType:instagram OR socialType:youtube OR socialType:tiktok

))

AND NOT outletType:stock_market_news

AND NOT nsfw:true

You’re off to an early start @AKB Media! Getting it done before the webinars. I like that competitive edge!

This string looks very detailed to me.

Question: Do you think your string could be boosted by also including the 2024 Paris Olympics’ Mascot’s name? It’s name is Phryge.

Comment: I like the exclusion of NSFW social media posts; however, I wonder if it may actually diminish your search by excluding some of the attempts advertisers had at making their own brands go viral following the French Pole Vaulter’s meme-tastic moment.

@DEClarke Had the same thought about NSFW based on the near crisis situation with social media comments calling for a boycott of the games following the opening ceremonies.

I had to deal with a few issues this week, so I’m just getting around to the exercise. I am wondering if we doing this playbook from the view of the Paris 2024 organizing committee, the IOC, U.S. sponsors, or from some other viewpoint. It might help to narrow down search terms and how we respond to the ‘crisis’ in the next part of this exercise. I love the ideas but with this being the world’s biggest sporting event with 10,700 athletes, 329 events in 32 sports plus the Paralympic Games, it might be helpful to know a little more about what to include and exclude.

Trying to get to the top mentions of Paris 2024 here’s the baseline for my search… but I’m sure it’ll be a work in progress.

(

"Paris" NEAR/4 (

2024 OR Olympic* OR "Olympic Games" OR "Paris Olympics" OR "Summer Games" OR "Olympic Events" OR "Olympic Sports" OR "Athlet*" OR "Gold Medal*" OR

"Produits olympiques*" OR "Billets olympiques*" OR "Parrainage olympique*" OR "Souvenirs olympiques*" OR "Diffusion olympique*" OR

"Mémorabilia olympique*" OR "Productos olímpicos*" OR "Entradas olímpicas*" OR "Patrocinio olímpico*" OR "Recuerdos olímpicos*" OR

"Transmisión olímpica*"

) OR

(

"Olympic merchandise*" OR "Olympic tickets*" OR "Olympic sponsorship*" OR "Olympic souvenirs*" OR "Olympic broadcast*" OR "Olympic memorabilia*"

) OR

(

"IOC" OR "IPC" OR "NOC" OR "Olympic Village" OR "Opening Ceremony*" OR "Closing Ceremony*" OR "Olympic Torch" OR

"Paralympic Games" OR "Olympic Fever" OR "World Record" OR "Olympic Athlet*" OR "Olympic Fans" OR "Olympic Movement*"

) OR

(

"#Paris2024" OR "#Olympics" OR "#OlympicGames"

) OR

(

from:twitter OR from:facebook OR from:instagram OR from:tiktok OR from:youtube OR from:linkedin

)

)

AND (reach>=999999 OR shares>=750)

AND NOT

(

outletType:press_releases OR outletType:market_research_reports OR outletType:aggregator OR outletType:stock_market_news OR

"Rio 2016" OR "Tokyo 2020" OR "LA 2028" OR "Los Angeles" OR socialType:reddit

)

Oops, hit send too early. Meant to include these hashtags "#ParisBoycott"  "#Boycott_Paris_Olympic"  "#BoycottOlympics". Did anyone else find any other anti-Olympic hashtags or phrases worth monitoring?

Welp, here’s my first try: 

((

"Summer Olympics" AND

(

"Olympic Games" OR "Olympiad" OR "Olympic event" OR "Summer Games" OR "Olympic sports" OR "Olympic competition" OR "Olympic athletes" OR "Paris Olympics" OR "Summer Games" OR "Olympics" OR "Olympics 2024" OR "Paris 2024" OR "Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games" OR "Olympics and Paralympics"

)

)

OR

(

"Olympic medals" OR "Olympic torch" OR "Olympic mascot" OR "Olympic sponsors" OR "Olympic venues" OR "Olympic tickets" OR "Olympic broadcasting" OR "Olympic merchandise" OR "RL" OR "FL" OR "NKE" OR "ADDYY" OR "DKNG" OR "CMCSA"

)

OR

(

"NBC Olympics" OR "NBC Olympic coverage" OR "NBC Sports Olympics"

)

AND

(

socialType:twitter OR socialType:facebook OR socialType:instagram OR socialType:youtube OR socialType:tiktok

))

I went back and took a second stab at this, adding French translated keywords: 

( ("2024 Paris Olympics" OR "Paris 2024" OR "2024 Summer Olympics" OR "Paris Summer Games" OR "Jeux Olympiques de Paris 2024" OR "Jeux Olympiques d'été 2024" OR "Jeux d'été de Paris") AND ("Olympic Games" OR "Olympics 2024" OR "Summer Games" OR "Olympic event" OR "Olympic sports" OR "International Olympic Committee" OR IOC OR "Paris Organizing Committee" OR "Olympic athletes" OR "Jeux Olympiques" OR "Olympiques 2024" OR "Jeux d'été" OR "événement Olympique" OR "sports Olympiques" OR "Comité International Olympique" OR CIO OR "Comité d'Organisation des Jeux de Paris" OR "athlètes Olympiques" OR @Olympics OR @Paris2024 OR handle:"olympics" OR handle:"paris2024" OR #Olympics OR #Paris2024 OR #2024Olympics) ) AND NOT(outletType:press_releases) AND NOT(nsfw:true)

Built my search piece by piece using the brand names and variations, misspellings, hashtags, handles, the near operator, and filtered for likes, views, and shares ….

I initially used the AI feature, but what it spit out was too basic -- I am guessing I should have used a more specific and detailed prompt.

For handles, do I need to differentiate between a Facebook handle and a Twitter handle?

What else am I missing”

@AVO ISBA - If you’re getting really vague/generic results from the AI assistant, I don’t know if you really need to be super detailed in your first prompt. One of the cool things about the AI assistant is that you can use it to refine your search until you get something useful. The AI assistant does often have good suggestions if I ask for them, for example, I asked the search assistant which languages it recommended for me to include in my Summer Olympics brand search and it gave me a great list to start from (French, Spanish, German, Chinese (simplified), Japanese, and Russian) and when my search got unwieldy I used the prompt “I would like you to use the NEAR operator and wildcards to eliminate redundancies in the search, for example: Olympi* NEAR/5 (athlet* OR ticket* OR medal*)” - this gave me a much cleaner search and translated it into those languages automatically.

If you’re getting a lot of unrelated or nonspecific results from your search, you can take it back to the AI assistant to refine it. I found that some of the suggestions the assistant provided for narrowing or expanding my search were surprisingly helpful! 

For further inspiration I looked at my top keywords and entities surfaced in the Everything Cloud on my initial search, and used some of the boolean tips from those filters to create custom categories (for example, the 🚨 emoji and (enrichments.namedEntities(name:"paris" AND type:"location"])). The AI assistant is helpful, but I do find that I often need a few rounds with it to get a workable search. But I often need a few rounds with my own searches too, and the chatbot at least works a lot faster than I do 😅

re: your question about handles: The handle operator is platform-agnostic, and will return any document posted by that handle/username and depends on the other search conditions that you have set up. If a monitored brand uses the same handle on multiple platforms, and your search includes more than one of these in your sources, it will return results for all of those sources. 

That said, you can monitor any page/handle on X/Twitter without authentication, but Meta requires a business Facebook page to be connected to get access to Facebook data. Once you have connected your business account, you need to add specific pages you’d like to monitor to your Monitored Pages under Social Connections, and then you need to make sure that you include those pages in your Explore search to get that data. 

WOW! I have to say I certainly have my work cut out for me with creating searches. These boolean queries are going to be a gamechanger for how I build out searches for my organization. Thank you for sharing all the knowledge. Really great work, everyone!!! 

(

(olympics AND "paris 2024" near/20 "USA") OR

(olympics AND "summer 2024" near/20 "USA") OR

(olympics AND "gold medal" near/10 "USA") OR

(olympics NEAR/10 "torri huske") OR

(olympics NEAR/10 "regan smith") OR

(olympics NEAR/10 "simone biles") OR

(olympics NEAR/10 "nic fink") OR

(olympics AND ("medal" NEAR/5 (basketball OR "track cycling" OR relay OR hurdles OR soccer OR "long jump" OR freestyle OR 400m OR pursuit OR running OR throw OR discus OR golf OR fencing OR gymnastics OR rowing OR swimming) AND "USA"))

)

AND NOT outletType:press_releases

AND NOT outletType:market_research_reports

AND NOT outletType:aggregator

Quick callout to everybody in this thread - a TON of you registered and attended the Brand Monitoring workshops, but we currently are only showing 30 quiz completions, which means there are a lot of competition points being left on the table 👀 Make sure that you complete the assessment quiz for this workshop to make sure you get credit (and grab your 100 points)!

In case it’s a little confusing, you will need to click the Enroll for free button on the quiz page and log in (or sign up if you haven’t already) for mAcademy. Make sure you use the same email address that you use to log into mCommunity to make sure your points are awarded correctly.

What else am I missing”

@AVO ISBA - If you’re getting really vague/generic results from the AI assistant, I don’t know if you really need to be super detailed in your first prompt. One of the cool things about the AI assistant is that you can use it to refine your search until you get something useful. The AI assistant does often have good suggestions if I ask for them, for example, I asked the search assistant which languages it recommended for me to include in my Summer Olympics brand search and it gave me a great list to start from (French, Spanish, German, Chinese (simplified), Japanese, and Russian) and when my search got unwieldy I used the prompt “I would like you to use the NEAR operator and wildcards to eliminate redundancies in the search, for example: Olympi* NEAR/5 (athlet* OR ticket* OR medal*)” - this gave me a much cleaner search and translated it into those languages automatically.

If you’re getting a lot of unrelated or nonspecific results from your search, you can take it back to the AI assistant to refine it. I found that some of the suggestions the assistant provided for narrowing or expanding my search were surprisingly helpful! 

For further inspiration I looked at my top keywords and entities surfaced in the Everything Cloud on my initial search, and used some of the boolean tips from those filters to create custom categories (for example, the 🚨 emoji and (enrichments.namedEntities(name:"paris" AND type:"location"])). The AI assistant is helpful, but I do find that I often need a few rounds with it to get a workable search. But I often need a few rounds with my own searches too, and the chatbot at least works a lot faster than I do 😅

re: your question about handles: The handle operator is platform-agnostic, and will return any document posted by that handle/username and depends on the other search conditions that you have set up. If a monitored brand uses the same handle on multiple platforms, and your search includes more than one of these in your sources, it will return results for all of those sources. 

That said, you can monitor any page/handle on X/Twitter without authentication, but Meta requires a business Facebook page to be connected to get access to Facebook data. Once you have connected your business account, you need to add specific pages you’d like to monitor to your Monitored Pages under Social Connections, and then you need to make sure that you include those pages in your Explore search to get that data. 

Thank you so much for your time.

I toyed around further with the AI Search Assistant -- and wow, it was impressive.

I created a nice little Bolean for mentions of Snoop Dog at the Olympics:) 

("Snoop Dogg" OR "Snoop Doggy Dogg" OR "Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr.") AND (topic:olympics OR "Olympic Games" OR "Summer Olympics" OR "Paris Olympics" or "Olympics 2024")

I created a nice little Bolean for mentions of Snoop Dog at the Olympics:) 

("Snoop Dogg" OR "Snoop Doggy Dogg" OR "Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr.") AND (topic:olympics OR "Olympic Games" OR "Summer Olympics" OR "Paris Olympics" or "Olympics 2024")

Nice work!

Comment