Skip to main content

mOlympians | 2024 Paris Olympics Gender Controversy Coverage Report

• 2 September 2024
  • 14 Replies

Hello mCommunity 🙋🏼

It's been a hectic work week, but I’m excited to finally reconnect with this amazing space and share my thoughts on the Summer Olympics. I’d love to hear your feedback!

My thought process: I've put together a report on the gender controversy that took center stage at this year's Olympics and used one of the 2 custom categories i had created.

Goal: My objective was to explore the implications of the gender equality narratives that dominated social media like never before. I also customized the template to better align with my story and hypothesis.

CTA: Please click on the PDF attachment or check out the link here to view the full report.

@Suman Chanda Welcome back! Great report on such a meaningful topic.  The image on Slide 3 really helped me understand the context to this report.  My only feedback, it would have been helpful to understand what terms you were monitoring as I wasn’t sure what the Total Mentions was referring to, was that all mentions of Summer Olympics or Summer Olympic and Gender?

Your report gave me an idea for our next competition, how can we use this competition and data to raise awareness on other important topics.  Thank you for your work on this. great job!

@Suman Chanda Welcome back! Great report on such a meaningful topic.  The image on Slide 3 really helped me understand the context to this report.  My only feedback, it would have been helpful to understand what terms you were monitoring as I wasn’t sure what the Total Mentions was referring to, was that all mentions of Summer Olympics or Summer Olympic and Gender?

Your report gave me an idea for our next competition, how can we use this competition and data to raise awareness on other important topics.  Thank you for your work on this. great job!

Thank you so much for the feedback @kelly.bebenek. Mentions are based on Summer Olympics and the custom category of Gender controversy  query. I have included the Overall Olympics in the Share of voice chart to show what % which is about 5% of overall conversations was driven by the Gender controversy. Hope that helps!

And so glad my report could spark ideas for you, i feel one step closer to being able to utilize all that i learnt on this amazing platform  🎯 😁

Your report gave me an idea for our next competition, how can we use this competition and data to raise awareness on other important topics.

Nice thought! 

Hi i am taking the liberty of tagging some of the fabulous minds here to view my report and share any feedback so that i can do better next time 😀 @Inge@DEClarke@amecham@Will Swope@Maria Dehne@Cristina Mendes@Elesuma@AKB Media 

This is REALLY good. I love the women at the olympics graphic timeline. And the last slide summarizing the polarized sentiment quantitative data and painted a qualitative narrative that focused on the information that was presented in the data. Well done!

Hi i am taking the liberty of tagging some of the fabulous minds here to view my report and share any feedback so that i can do better next time 😀 @Inge@DEClarke@amecham@Will Swope@Maria Dehne@Cristina Mendes@Elesuma@AKB Media 

@Suman Chanda, flattery will get you absolutely everywhere. 😉 LoL! But, in all seriousness, I am so honored that you specifically requested my feedback. My thoughts: Your report is a wonderful exercise in exploring the intersections of gender equality issues and LGBTQIA+ issues as these specific moments from the 2024 Summer Olympics highlight the overlap of misogyny and anti-Trans rhetoric and how they compound upon each other. I agree with @kelly.bebenek that, in a future report, it would be helpful to include/highlight the query terms used to create the data we are looking at. Another suggestion I would offer, and I know it’s tough in the context of this specific assignment/challenge, would be to suppose you are a Comms professional at the IOC or the PR person whose client is Imane Khelif. What suggestions would you offer for the next Summer Olympics or for how your athlete client’s narrative is positioned in the media to try and prevent similar Crisis Comms moments in the future? What did we learn from 2024 that could be applied going forward? Also, when people with massive followings like J.K. Rowling and Elon Musk enter the chat, how can we be better prepared to counter the negative and/or totally false narratives they spread? What suggestions could the data and post-event learnings you present offer there?

This is REALLY good. I love the women at the olympics graphic timeline. And the last slide summarizing the polarized sentiment quantitative data and painted a qualitative narrative that focused on the information that was presented in the data. Well done!

Thank you so much really appreciate you taking time to share your feedback!

Hi i am taking the liberty of tagging some of the fabulous minds here to view my report and share any feedback so that i can do better next time 😀 @Inge@DEClarke@amecham@Will Swope@Maria Dehne@Cristina Mendes@Elesuma@AKB Media 

@Suman Chanda, flattery will get you absolutely everywhere. 😉 LoL! But, in all seriousness, I am so honored that you specifically requested my feedback. My thoughts: Your report is a wonderful exercise in exploring the intersections of gender equality issues and LGBTQIA+ issues as these specific moments from the 2024 Summer Olympics highlight the overlap of misogyny and anti-Trans rhetoric and how they compound upon each other. I agree with @kelly.bebenek that, in a future report, it would be helpful to include/highlight the query terms used to create the data we are looking at. Another suggestion I would offer, and I know it’s tough in the context of this specific assignment/challenge, would be to suppose you are a Comms professional at the IOC or the PR person whose client is Imane Khelif. What suggestions would you offer for the next Summer Olympics or for how your athlete client’s narrative is positioned in the media to try and prevent similar Crisis Comms moments in the future? What did we learn from 2024 that could be applied going forward? Also, when people with massive followings like J.K. Rowling and Elon Musk enter the chat, how can we be better prepared to counter the negative and/or totally false narratives they spread? What suggestions could the data and post-event learnings you present offer there?

Thank you @DEClarke you have given me some great ideas to slice and dice the data to provide more meaningful and actionable insights. Honestly i didn’t think through all those possibilities and was just focusing on the overall view. I will continue to explore how i can incorporate these into my dashboard on the platform 😀

Your report sounds incredibly timely and relevant! It’s great that you’re diving into the gender equality issues that have been such a hot topic for years. As the world evolve, it's very important that we continue to challenge traditional norms and push for policies that ensure everyone has an equal opportunity. How do you think these conversations might influence future Olympics or big sports events? I agree with @kelly.bebenek  - The image on Slide 3 was really helpful in understanding the context!

I like how you put this all together, thank you for sharing!

haha, agreed that flattery will go a long way ;) 

Also, I just have to say I love your topic! It’s such a rich angle. I also love that you included that custom chart - the one on page 3, titled Women at the Olympics. Was that an image? Very good idea! 

Overall, I’m impressed with how well your report does at telling a story. If I could give a suggestion, it would be to include some of the X/Twitter and news posts so that readers can get a first-hand idea of the content. Other than that, brilliant job. 

haha, agreed that flattery will go a long way ;) 

Also, I just have to say I love your topic! It’s such a rich angle. I also love that you included that custom chart - the one on page 3, titled Women at the Olympics. Was that an image? Very good idea! 

Overall, I’m impressed with how well your report does at telling a story. If I could give a suggestion, it would be to include some of the X/Twitter and news posts so that readers can get a first-hand idea of the content. Other than that, brilliant job. 

Thanks for the feedback and idea to include posts, will definitely keep in mind next time around :)

What an interesting topic, and visually appealing report - well done. Great choice of cover image, and I also like the additional chart you selected on the second slide. It’s comprehensive yet concise with some great insights. 

What an interesting topic, and visually appealing report - well done. Great choice of cover image, and I also like the additional chart you selected on the second slide. It’s comprehensive yet concise with some great insights. 

Thank you @Inge , i did not want the report to be too extensive and give like a high level over view about the media and keywords and sentiment that was driving or i would say engaging with the subject of gender even a week or 2 later after the Olympics concluded. Thanks again for your feedback :)

Comment