#Experts

How Meltwater uses Meltwater: Marketing/PR Practitioner

• 14 December 2022
  • 0 replies
How Meltwater uses Meltwater: Marketing/PR Practitioner
Userlevel 1

I’ve used Meltwaters' tools for a decade now. During this time, I’ve had various marketing and communication roles, each with different goals and priorities - and Meltwater has supported all of them in some capacity.

I first discovered Meltwater when I started using the tools while working in the Corporate Communications team at Bosch. As a client, I used the tools for community management, to demonstrate impact via earned media reports, and find and target journalists. But it was only when I started working directly for Meltwater that I became a little more creative with how I used social listening and media intelligence.

Here are a few ways I’ve used our family of solutions during my 8-year stint as a marketing practitioner at Meltwater.

Partner Projects

Twitter Official Partner Programme

As part of my current role as Global Head of Marketing Programmes, I manage several partner projects; the Twitter Official Partner Programme (TOPP) being one of them. The partner program involves collaboration on reports that tap into Twitter conversations to identify meaningful insights and emerging trends within key industries.

This year, we launched The Fashion Industry’s New Era report which explored the conversation drivers around top-trending fashion topics on Twitter over the past year. The insights shared within the report (see examples below) empowered brands to stay ahead when responding to these conversations, as well as supported them with crafting innovative and impactful strategies for 2022.

We had to analyze a vast amount of data to get the insights. If you too are dealing with large data sets, here is my top tip to sort the wheat from the chaff and get to the insights that matter faster:

1. First, focus your attention on the media volume trend graph and look for peaks in conversation. Then refine the search dates to cover the specific dates where the spikes occurred.

-zYwgDu3bB4pIXR9cdqOme-_yJR34qUXLBMpgRfaEGRnY4y1rXfu0YFIZPttzmdLSNpBD67hE7EWX60aiWU6yeFdXVINaRjJLkkEJAQyOe-6MKjd4Vm582cUe2iNsv_Q-Jlt9ycGF0Ei4Hh9hjfH5Gbpjh0o0wCla78GXTNZ_QK2d3OzaFhnw9fA5w2FSA

1. Look at the trending word cloud to spot causes for spikes. Click on the words that appear bigger as these are likely to be the topics driving the media increase. Preview the conversations to see if they’re relevant. If they reveal spammy-type comments, you should refine your search by removing those keywords, then start the process again.

DVeHzz3_RynQ2woswFjvtoTYUUlTH9kz3XhsLFHZTafzHjTCIjI3XLh_A5_laVlDRMHrm4HccaVoDstQabHybfqig2P5CsA0d3MD8EfPQPKm-PbQBZlFosi9Cx1hm6wl2anv-Ob9uQ-zuttADuYmRbZ5LEZq5ARm4_-_41vPijwSK52YPbB_y3sYosbq3A

1. Once you know the conversations aren’t spam, run a different keyword search on the trending words and set the search date to reflect the spikes in conversation to better understand the story, like what caused it? Which influencers are getting involved? Is the conversation positive or negative? Are there specific countries generating most of the buzz? What micro trends are happening within the wider conversation? Etc.

Content ideation

Content marketing is one thread that has connected all of my roles throughout the years . Whether I was the one writing content or setting up and managing relationships with external industry experts, finding the right stories to tell has always been critical. 

I didn’t want to add to the noise by repeating a story that had been covered a hundred times before. I wanted to excite our audience and position Meltwater as a visionary. To do this, I needed an understanding of what stories were already out there, who was telling them, and where the gaps in content existed. 

My first step to achieving this was running searches on our competitors to see which content themes they were covering and what subjects they were ‘owning’. This would eventually help ensure that Meltwater was positioned differently. Next, I would run searches on the wider industry to spot gaps in content that neither Meltwater nor our competitors had covered, as well as to see which experts were contributing to the discussion. Finally, I would set up another search focused on the experts to identify other content topics that I may not have considered. Once I compiled and gathered all of this data, I would use it to guide my decision-making and develop a unique content plan that positioned Meltwater as a thought leader.

PR

Growing the Meltwater brand locally was a key priority when I worked as Head of Marketing, UKI - and PR played a big role in helping me to achieve this. I had two approaches when it came to pitching; 1. pitching a new story to a journalist that’s grounded in data, or, 2. pitching data to support an existing story that they’re working on.

One simple way I drove PR was pitching media intelligence insights from our topic/ industry focused reports. This form of research always goes down well with media outlets, especially if you offer the story under embargo, so it sometimes surprises me at how few of our customers are using Meltwater tools to create primary research. 

X8MVU9AaArWMbHAEzDdlX_Lf62FMXf4giRGMklITFVtUBFv3INVnMSuw7aYSvsHUCaAiOA-YvXFfK-1pad4hyzkeWtFCgYmlYXhJ4pEIGPjgvat7_zhgVxq87yzLLutTIhEarwrlwC-E_Gzh7msGkyCExox8JuRIsQXTcMO8UYzvNsRWI0rIkMMos7zymA

That being said, these types of reports require resources and so I would aim to produce them once a quarter. To keep PR momentum, I would also run searches on topical conversations and see if there were any newsworthy stories within them. 

For example, a few years ago I ran a search on Christmas Jumper Day to see if Save the Children, the charity behind the event, was present in the discussion or lost in all the excitement. Through Meltwater’s social listening tool, I found that 40% of all Christmas Jumper Day conversations mentioned the charity, with a further 16% discussing donating. I then pitched the Save the Children success story to Marketing Week who ran the story with Meltwater data at the focus.

-hoSAkV47Ffh1MYygHqiC_rsxSvFiSWFfAJN09Z01D2BCmvIeDQZWMgkK2e49nSDVkpMjj2hGnrP64ZKZUvghgPcQy6lM6UriPqiRXSv7iESpJP4qfrP0-bZpyIp7v6gJfQ5y1w725vw7GGsg0-npJPDX5Chawp1DEEnr890iuql9_XeEoQGUuxdGtG8fQ 

The other approach I used was pitching Meltwater data to support stories that journalists were already writing or planning to write. Sometimes it was easy to predict which stories they’d be covering soon, like I knew journalists were getting ready to cover brand Christmas campaigns in mid November. For this example, I would run a search to see which journalists wrote about Christmas adverts last year, then call and see if they’re planning to do the same this year and offer data. More often than not, they’d be interested in seeing sentiment figures and trending themes surrounding the campaigns.

PSST.. If you’re looking for some inspo on regular events to get in the diary, take a look at Meltwater’s 2023 Social Media Calendar and bookmark any dates related to your industry.

I also found newsjacking particularly helpful when pitching data to support existing stories. Journalists are usually quite receptive to this since adding a data spin to show how the story is developing (and why) creates a new angle. I frequently used this media opportunity to provide a comment and position our execs as data experts, sometimes I invited a relevant client to comment as an expert too. 

Keeping on top of trends can be a little difficult if you work in a fast paced industry, so here are some of the ways I would keep on top of trending stories to newsjack:

• Set up Meltwater daily digest reports that trigger an alert when there’s an unusual influx in the number of mentions around particular industry related keywords
  • Social media explore pages, e.g. the Twitter trending tab
  • Daily Google trends
  • Follow industry thought leaders. For example, Instagram’s Adam Mosseri often shares up and coming updates to the social network and the reasoning behind them via his Insta page. From a Meltwater PR perspective, it was always interesting to run a search on how audiences have responded to the updates and see if there was a newsworthy story within the data.
  • Sometimes journalists use Twitter to source stories using hashtags requests. It’s wise to set up a search and monitor these conversations. All you need to do is create a Boolean that includes industry keywords + media request phrases to ensure the media request is relevant to you (example below) and set up an instant alert to be sent to your email so you can jump on it quickly before your competitors.

“#mediarequest or #journorequest or #journalistrequest” and “fashion” or “clothes” or “highstreet” or “retail” or “luxury goods”

Throughout my career, I’ve turned to Meltwater to spark inspiration, help guide my decisions and justify my existence, hopefully the above tips have helped you to do the same!

Perri Robinson, Senior Marketing Manager

0 replies

Be the first to reply!